Saturday, August 28, 2010

Juan

I love to get packages.
Seeing the last name of an old friend on the package slip is even better.
Having to wait for several days for various reasons to go pick up your package is not better.
Opening the package and being surprised with a purple dinosaur is the BEST!

I cannot tell you all how my heart filled with glee when I opened the box!  When I was in high school, my friend Mary and I had an on-going debate.  You know those claw machines that you can get prizes out of?  Well Mary and I won a prize once.  The problem was that it was her money, and I was the one that got it out - a fabulous purple dinosaur.  If you predicted that a dispute on who the dinosaur belonged to ensued - then you would be right.  But the dispute was that both of us thought the other person should take him home! 

This little dispute is now in its 14th year.  Our purple dinosaur (who was eventually named Juan Tate) - has been passed back and forth between us many times.  Sometimes in full costume of some sort, sometimes not.  Here is a picture of Juan with some of his various outfits and accessories he has come to me in over the years.  You can spot a camo parachute, beach bum gear, a BYU t-shirt, a fake mustache, a sombrero, and even a photo of Juan dressed as an LDS missionary (he went to Puerto Rico for that one).




The last time he was passed on, was four years ago when Mary had her first child - a little boy.  I guess I shouldn't have been surprised to see Juan in the box as a gift to my little boy! 

I tried to get a good picture of Lincoln and Juan together, but Lincoln didn't seem to like him very much and even was swatting at him.  Perhaps it's a sign that Juan isn't going to take up a permanent residence here . . .




Rating:  1 Purple Dinosaur

2 comments:

The Van Fam said...

reminds me of the story of the shirt with the Mom/daughter, if you haven't heard it, is somewhere in Internet land.

Mary said...

I think Lincoln looks really happy, as if he has found his bosom buddy. Purple is a very soothing color for babies, you know.