Saturday, March 7, 2009

And it continues

Well not only are Idige and Lil still sick - but now AJ and Emmaline are too. We thought Idgie was improving but last night she started puking again. This morning I couldn't even get her to nurse. I decided since it was Day 3 that I would take her to the doctor. Of course it is Saturday so our only choice was the Urgent Care Clinic. The doctor examined her and said that she actually need to be at the ER and getting IV fluids. She wasn't at deaths door or anything but she was what he called "borderline" dehydrated - a fine line between needing fluids or not. We decided since she was refusing to nurse, that she needed to be seen. So off I took her to the ER. They were very busy today and we ended up being there from 10:00am - 4:15pm.

They did chest x-rays, nose swabs, tested her boogers - all things to check for things like pneumonia or RSV. They concluded that she has an upper respiratory infection. The doctor there wanted me to try one more time to get her to drink without needing an IV. She was still refusing to nurse so they got me a bottle with some Pedialyte in it. She has never had a bottle before - ever. So I didn't think she would take it. Turns out I was wrong. She latched onto it like some ravenous beast and downed those two ounces in just a couple minutes. Excellent!!! She still wanted more so I tried to nurse again. This time she did it. YAY!
Then a few minutes later - she puked it all up. (I am now the proud owner of a pair of "Standard issue" pants the hospital gave me)
Because she puked everything up so fast - they decided that the IV was the only route left. After a stick in both hands, and one in her foot - they *still* couldn't get the IV into her tiny dehydrated veins. They decided to give it a rest and then find a nurse who runs lots of IVs for pediatrics. I gave her another 2 ounce bottle of pedialyte. This time though - I made her take it slow, waiting a few minutes between each 1/2 ounce. That seemed to do the trick because she kept it down! The she napped for awhile and when she woke up she drank another ounce of the pedialyte. Success!!!
They came in to get the IV in and this time it went in with just one poke. They pumped her up with fluids, decided she was doing much better, and sent us home!
This evening she is still not nursing as much as normal -but she is doing much much better and at least it is staying down. I have also been letting her have water out of a bottle as well.

Meanwhile - while all that was going on - AJ was at home, sick, with two sick girls. Both of whom apparently had killer diarrhea today instead of vomit.

Rating: 5 Lollipops (for Idgie improving) and 5 Fireballs (for having to go to the ER and for everyone being sick!)

5 comments:

Jamie said...

What a long time to be there! I hope everyone is better soon.

Amanda said...

Sad day! Did you take home a mask and a box of gloves? (only halfway joking). I hope you don't get sick!

Kathleen said...

Silver lining: you got to skip the killer diarrhea.

the andersons said...

wowsers.... what a weekend. it stinks when everyone is sick together.

Maggie said...

Poor baby. Glad that she is feeling better.

Bonus - You missed the diarrhea.

Hope your girls get to feeling better