Thursday, March 19, 2009

First Speech Therapy

Well two months to the day that I made that phone call, Liliana finally had her first speech therapy appointment! Her therapist seemed very nice and Liliana took right too her - which is unusual for her. I think it helps that it was in our home. They want everything to be the "natural environment" for the child so that includes having the therapy at our home and everyone who lives in the house being around "as normal". Unfortunately what that meant is that Emmaline was able to participate. She was having a lot of fun, but being the talkative creature that she is - she tried to hog a lot of the attention. I thought Jenny (the therapist) did a good job of having Emmaline be helpful but not in the way too much.

Basically it was a lot of one-on-one playtime with a focus on communicating and understanding. Some was child led and some wasn't. For example, Liliana got out some Little People Animals to play with. So Jenny played a game with her to practice receptive skills where they hid the animal and Liliana would go find it. Or they would talk about the different animals. Jenny brought along a few toys like some stacking blocks as well that she got out and had Liliana do different activities with.

I was actually really impressed because Liliana was saying stuff that I have never heard her say before! I have no idea where it was coming from but it is a good thing. She was popping out two words phrases right and left! The funny moment was when Emmaline tried to steal one of Lil's toys and Lil yelled at her "NO!" Then pointing to the timeout chair said, "SIT!" I think she knew it was HER time!

Rating: 3 Lollipops

2 comments:

Jamie said...

I'm so glad that it went well. It's great that they come to you! you don't have to pack everyone up to go, isn't that nice? I'm glad it seems to be working out so far.

Amanda said...

She knows when to step it up! I'm glad she did well. :)