This whole kindergarten thing is turning into a bigger and bigger mess. Why couldn't we have just gotten in to the Charter School? ARGH!
On Thursday I called the neighborhood elementary school and asked about how to get Emmaline registered for school. This is where I learned that starting next year the district is moving to full-day kindergarten AND they will charge $250/month for it. WHAT??? Apparently because kindergarten isn't mandatory they can do that. Then they told me that I can send her for half day for free, and they would work out the schedule so that she wouldn't miss any academics. Nice. So she gets her reading, math, etc, but then she misses out on the "fun" stuff??? My school district also offers open enrollment but apparently I missed that deadline, so pretty much we are stuck and the whole thing is craptacular.
So now I sit here floundering on what to do. I am weighing all my options - even homeschool - trying to figure out what the "right" decision is for her and for our family.
Rating: 3 Fireballs
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
We are waiting the extra year for houston, he goes to a preschool through the public school though...is there anything like that in your area?
Wow I cant believe they want you to pay for public elementary school!!
charging for kindergarten?!? that is ridiculous!
I am actually a fan of the all-day kindergarten idea, but NOT a fan of paying $250/month for it! One option you might consider is creating a kindergarten co-op with 4 other moms that don't want to pay $250/month. You each take turns holding the kindergarten at your house and teaching the lessons. You could either each take a day of the week, or a week at a time every 5 weeks. That way, the kids still get the social and the educational experience, yet you don't have to pay anything or teach every day (not that that's bad...). If you do this, just make sure you have a loose curriculum for all the moms to follow. Good luck with everything!
Enjoy your time with your child at home. My son attends all day long kindergarten and it sucks. He is soooooooooooooo tired and cranky. The day is really hard on the little ones. He wishes he could spend more time at home. Just send her to school half a day and plan all kids of fun activities at home.
Weird! My little sister lives in Arvada and hasn't mentioned anything about that, though she's in a different district. I have friends with kids in all day kindergarten in Albuquerque and Phoenix, and they tell me the same thing as Lara - that their kids come home totally wiped out.
Good luck with your decision. That's a toughie. Afraid I don't have much in the way of useful advice, just sympathy for the difficulty in making good parenting choices.
Post a Comment