Friday, February 13, 2009

Speech Therapy and Mommy Guilt

Liliana had her evaluation today and they did determine that she qualifies for speech therapy. They actually had a couple different people in the room, one was a speech language pathologist who focused on Lil's communication and receptive skills. Then there was a lady that I have forgotten her title, but was an Early Childhood Evaluation something or other. Basically she looked a motor skills and social/emotional, and cognitive stuff. Also our Service Coordinator was there. It is kind of weird to be on the client side of services after being a Social Worker myself! Halfway through they also pulled in an Occupational Therapist. They noticed that Lil does this funny thing where if she crawls or pushes herself up with her hands, one hand is in a fist and the other is flat.



This is an old picture (1 year old) but can you see how her hands are like that?





Anyway - she only does it when crawling or getting up but the OT looked at her and checked for something - muscle tightness and stuff, and determined that Lil was fine in that regard, it is just a weird quirk that she has.

Anyway, it came down to that she is fine in all aspects except for the communication part of speech. So, starting in a few weeks we will have a therapist come to our house once a week to help with that.

This is the mommy guilt part:

On one hand I am happy to know that my gut instincts were right.

On the other hand, the things that they suggested I start doing with Liliana are things that I used to do with Emmaline but really haven't done with Lil. This of course makes me feel like the world's biggest jerk. It is my fault that I have short changed her somehow.

My sister says I can wallow in this guilt for two days and then I have to knock it off.

Rating: 5 Fireballs


5 comments:

Maggie said...

Hey, it is not your fault at all!

I read somewhere that younger siblings don't talk at soon or as much because well....they don't have to. They have an older brother or sister who does the talking. I know in my case that Maddy doesn't talk near as much or as soon as Cayden but she is slowly catching up.

Anyway, chin up hon, its not your fault at all.

Michelle said...

I feel that same mommy guilt with Emily. I know I don't do nearly half the things with her that I do with Nathan.

Scott Smith said...

Not your fault! Your sister is right, knock it off! I am sorry you feel guilty, I think any of us would.

And the hand thing... is that a problem? I still do that! When I crawl around with Stephen, and when I did handstands as a kid, I would have one hand in a fist, I have just always assumed, that one arm is shorter, so I am compensating for that. :) Really, having both hands flat is uncomfortable. I'm glad this is all working out, though. Good luck!

Jamie (I think I'm signed in as Scott right now...)

Anonymous said...

I don't do nearly as many things with my second-born as I did with my first. There just is not time enough! I know the guilt, though. And my second child is the one who needed speech therapy, but I know it is not just because he wasn't the only one getting Mommy's attention! Different kids are just that: different! Different abilities, personalities, etc. But you know that already.

(Funny: the word verification for this post is "oural"! LOL!)

Nonna said...

Glad she's geting the services she needs !

And the Mommy guilt ? Be done with it soon LOL