Saturday, January 24, 2009

Getting Ready for School

Well we have started the process of sending Emmaline to Kindergarten in the Fall. We'd like to send her to one of the local charter schools so I went to the informational meeting yesterday. I loved the school, but I think it is very unlikely she will get in. The person giving the presentation said that after accounting for siblings of current students, there are only 26 open slots left for kids in the lottery. At our meeting at least 15 people raised their hands to indicate they had a kindergartners. There are a total of 4 informational meetings and I am guessing they have a better turn out at the evening meetings. Based on that, I'd guess there are going to be about 100 kindergartner hoping for those 26 slots. That means that only 25% of the kids will get in. The odds are not in our favor.

Rating: 5 Fireballs

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dont give up. You never know.Some of those people will change their mind before the year even starts!

Heavenly said...

Wow...Grey just missed the cut off here, so he gets to wait another year (much to his dismay).

Funny that a few weeks can make that big of a difference.

Is Emmaline excited?

Rachel said...

It could still happen. My dd got in to a charter school in 1st grade, against the odds. Imagine my worry about all the returning kindergarteners! There are always move-outs so don't give up hope.

Bethany said...

Emmaline is so thrilled about school. I think she'd be devastated if I tried to hold her back! The cut off here is Sept 30 and since the school year starts in August, she will actually start kindergarten when she is still 4!

Lisa said...

Bethany--try anyway! I understand how you feel though--our dd is going to kindy this fall also. We are in Westminster and it is crazy nutty how serious people get about schools here. We are applying everywhere and keeping our fingers crossed that something works! Good luck :-)

Kate said...

Aww you never know! Somebody's number has to be pulled(hey it makes since in lotto right so if I dont play the lotto I gotta use it somehow) I know how you feel though. I am trying to get DS into a pretty prestigious daycare and I have been trying to think of ways to catch their eye or keep me in their minds with out looking like a total crazy cheerleader mom. ( ya know the kind that killed the other cheerleader so her DD could get on the squad) SO yea the things we do for our kids (and no I am not talking baout killing off a daycare kid, just a comparison)
-wiimiii