Friday, January 16, 2009

Wavering

Ever since Lil's two year check-up, I have been paying more attention to her speech and finally came to the decision to NOT have her get an evaluation after all. When I paid really close attention she said more than I thought. She also definitely understands everything we tell her. Then today she had a playdate with a girl two months younger than her. That little girl spoke so clearly! It wasn't even that she could say so much more - it was the quality of the speech. Even with the words Lil does say, most of them sound like complete mush. So I am back to trying to decide on whether to get the evaluation or not.

Rating: 1 Fireball

7 comments:

Tonia and Joshua said...

I totally understand the wavering thing! I've been doing the same thing with Jaxton. He's been saying a few more things lately, but he still seems pretty behind. It's so hard to know what's "normal"!
(Tonia from the LDS board)

Heidi Davies said...

I would recommend it; just so you know where she stands. Even if the evaluator doesn't find any significant delays, he/she may be able to give hints of what you can do to work with her.
(Heidi from MSM's)

Nonna said...

The younger you address a speech concern, the more success AND time you will have to correct it...listen to that inner voice and have her evaluated LOL

Katie said...

I'm with you here, Bethany. In fact, I read every post of your thread on this because I'm concerned about Parker's speech too. It's the fact that he's so far off the milestones COMBINED with the fact that he is so hard to understand. I dunno. I think I'm going to do it. I am. I'm going to get him evaluated.

Because really? What does it hurt, you know? Either they qualify or they don't, but at least you know. It doesn't cost anything, there's no big stigma, just free help there if you need it. Good luck with your decision.

Amanda said...

I would do it. She will gain so much from it!

Heavenly said...

Jumping on the bandwagon...

If there is nothing amiss--you can stop worrying.
If there is something that needs attention--you can get the help she needs.

It's a win-win situation.

Kate said...

I stand by my original thought. There is no con to this one. They will come in and play with her using toys she'll love, it's free, you get reassured or she gets help. No biggie. It takes little to no time and little to no effort on your part. Thsy pretty much do it all and its not like it traumatizing to the child. They come to your house and play with her. Do it. I dont see the con at all.
-wiimiii