Wednesday, June 3, 2009
CSA - Week 1
I promise I won't take a picture every week of our produce but I just had to this week because we had so much fun getting it! Isn't it pretty?
Today we did our first official pick-up of our veggies from the CSA. It was actually really really fun. We went out to the farm this time. There was hardly anything set out and he apologized and said they weren't quite ready yet. Instead, he offered to take us out to the fields and let us pick it ourselves. We were game for that so out we went! The kids had a blast picking lettuce, spinach, radishes, turnips, dill, and cilantro. They didn't quite understand the idea of thinning and of being careful, so we left parts of that field looking pretty decimated. I felt bad about it but the man who was with us didn't seem to care.
The kids also managed to spot two frogs. My friend caught one of them (Carolyn you are so brave!) and I'm pretty sure playing with that frog was the highlight of the whole trip for the kids!
When we got back to the store area, he said that they also had tomatoes and bell peppers that they didn't grow themselves, but we could take them as well. Then they also had a TON of asparagus for the taking.
We ended up with:
4.38 lbs. Tomatoes
3.13 lbs. Bell Peppers
1.38 lbs. asparagus
1.44 lbs Leaf Lettuce and Spinach (I mixed it all together)
.63 lbs. Radishes
.88 lbs. Turnips
.5 oz. Dill
2 oz. Cilantro
Not too bad I think and it was worth it just for the morning entertainment for the kids!
Rating: 3 Lollipops
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Wow, how wonderful! Looks so good.
Post a Comment