The Ididarod Dog Sled Race in Alaska has two starts to it. There is a "Ceremonial" start in Anchorage that doesn't count for anything - it is all for show. Then the racers pack up their dogs and sled and drive to Wasilla (Willow now actually) where the REAL race begins. So what does this have to do with Snack.... errrrr... CRAFT Weekend??? Well today is the ceremonial start!
It all start many years ago now as CRAFT weekend. All the women of the family get together for the weekend and bring unfinished projects and sit around all weekend and finish things and gab together. Well over the years it has evolved into a complete lack of any project completing - but we still sit around and gab, and more importantly - eat yummy snacks that everyone brings! Thus now we tease and call it Snack Weekend instead. Don't tell our husbands though. They still think it is a productive weekend full of much project completing and boring civilized fun. . .
This year it is at my house since I just had a baby and all. (I've tried to warn Imogene that the Aunties are ALL coming but she doesn't understand the magnitude of what that means!). Tonight, two of my sisters arrive - thus the "Ceremonial" start. Then late on Thursday night, my one other sister, and my sister-in-law arrive. Thus the TRUE start of Snack.... I mean CRAFT weekend. Sadly my mom isn't able to come this year or it'd be a complete group.
Bring on the 7 Layer Dip!!!!!
Rating: All the homemade cookies and cakes and bags of chips you can eat! (there's no dieting on Snack...errrr... CRAFT weekend)
Wednesday, July 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
so please send mum some virtual treats!....er...pictures
is it possible AJ might go in to some sort of toxic shock from all the estrogen in the house? hehe. I LOVE reading your blog...and STILL do want to get together this summer...which is nearly over...but I've been too busy to really enjoy yet :o/ When Chase starts school next month he'll be in K 1/2 day Mon but all day Tues and Thurs...which means I'll have 2 whole days within which to plan "girls only playdates!" hooray!
That's a fabulous idea. Something I've thought of doing for a long time with my sisters, but we've never managed it so far. Enjoy your snacks - you're entitled to an extra 500 calories a day, after all, thanks to Imogene!
Wooooooooooooooo party!
Delicious idea ! How fun for all of you !
You are so lucky to have so many great sisters (and a SIL)! Your girls are lucky, because they will have the same thing! ;)
Post a Comment