Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve @ Work

So, I email daily updates to my project manager at work: what I did yesterday, what I'm doing today, any problems I foresee, etc. (The actual methodology is called Agile, but on a one man team, having a daily scrum doesn't make much sense.) So, today I decided to get a bit creative - I mean, it's Christmas Eve, and there's really not a whole lot to do - no one is in the office, the client is unavailable until after Jan 5th, etc. Here's what I sent my project manager:

Twas the day before Christmas, and I was on support,
With only a few in the office with whom to build rapport.

The Mantis bugs were all nestled in the proper state,
And it appears only a few are left on my plate.

Memories of yesterday were still fresh in my mind,
With writing and testing that took all of my time.

Yesterday’s build was sent to Wiley with care,
Fully tested and doc’d, with not much fanfare.

When in my inbox there arose such a clatter,
I opened Outlook to see what was the matter!

Away to my keyboard I typed with panache,
Turned to the monitor and powered it on fast.

The inbox was empty, or so it did seem.
For there was only one email from the rest of the team.

With Derek out sick, and Boris at home too,
I sit in my cube, with bug 1550 to do.

The day is still young, and there is much code to be had,
So vigorously I work like a good little lad.

And when the day is done, and the lights are turned out,
You’ll hear me exclaim as I drive out of sight,

Merry Christmas to all!
And to all, a good night!

Now, if you don't find it amusing - you're just going to have to trust me. My project manager's reaction? "AJ, that was hysterical!" See? I *CAN* be funny...