Thursday, December 25, 2008

A Christmas Story - Our Version

Christmas morning was great, as detailed in the previous post. The kids were cute, the toys were fun, the candy and treats were super yummy! We have a fun tradition of sorts, where for either Christmas Eve dinner or Christmas Day dinner we have a somewhat non-traditional meal: tacos, or BBQ ribs, or something along those lines. This year we went for the BBQ ribs.

Earlier in the year we had gotten a great deal on some pork ribs: buy 1 get 2 free! So we were going to cook up two of the racks this evening for dinner. I fired up the grill and came back inside to slather them with Sweet Baby Ray's - very tasty! I sliced up the racks into thirds to fit on the rib holders, turned down the grill to very low, and put the rib holders on the grill. Cooking time is approximately 45 to 60 minutes, So I came back inside and we settled down to play with the girls and watch Tinkerbell.

After awhile I went to go check on the ribs. I noticed smoke - and there shouldn't be smoke on something cooking low and slow! I ran back inside to get a fire extinguisher!!! Wow those were some big flames!!! All we can figure out is that the ribs were very fatty, and that somehow they started a grease fire. We have some fantastic smoke stains on the outside of our house - we'll be moving the grill further from the house... assuming the grill is salvageable. The metal seems to be melted a bit.

I think the best part was the neighbor who came over to tell us our grill was on fire!! Oh what joy - we almost burned down our house on Christmas! I wonder if the new toys would have been covered under the insurance...

Seeing as how dinner was... less than tasteful at this point, we decided to find a another source of food. But nothing in this stinking town is open on Christmas. NOTHING. Not King Soopers. Not Target. Not even Wal-Mart. Bethany found this out by driving to several of them in hopes of getting us some food. (We'd have made food, but by this time it was 5pm, and everything that wasn't charred was still frozen.) None of the major restaurant chains were open either. We were running out of options... until we all looked at each other... "Chinese!" Fa-ra-ra-ra ra-ra-ra-ra!

Yes - we did order one dish with duck in it.

Rating: 1 Big FIREBALL

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

BAHAHAHAHA!! Glad everything is okay!

And I love the Fa-ra-ra-ra-ra!!!

Janice and Jessica said...

Sorry about the fire but we too had Chinese for Christmas dinner. I found your blog from babycenter and have followed it ever since. Love, love, love it!!!

My situation is a little different but suffice to say, Chinese was good especially when you get to spend it together with your family.

Rachel said...

I know I shouldn't have laughed but it was kinda funny..

Jenny said...

You melted metal? Just think, you made a memory that will last a lifetime. Merry Christmas!