Saturday, December 6, 2008

Where I confess to yelling at my kids in public...

Tonight was the annual Christmas Dinner/Party at church. I used to enjoy going - but I left tonight wondering why we bothered. My family is a size now where we don't really fit at a table with another family - so we didn't really get to chat with anyone. My kids are too small to sit still and comfortably in folding metal chairs and eat. They wanted to run and play. The dinner was disorganized (which I can totally forgive since they had a new Activities Committee this year) so it was drawn out longer than it should have been.

There was a short musical program - which I was part of one musical number and AJ was in another. That left one of us alone to herd the kids while the other was up performing. Of course on my watch, Emmaline declared she had to go the bathroom. So off I went with all three girls to the bathroom. When we got there - Emmaline declared that she had to poop. So while she did that, I tried to keep Lil from playing in the other toilets and the sinks while I was of course carrying Imogene on my hip. Then Emmaline needed some help - so here I am, trying to help her while holding Imogene and yelling at Liliana to stay out of the toilets. By that point in the evening I was pretty well spent and I am sure everyone outside of the bathroom could hear me yelling at my kids "hurry and pull your pants up!" "Liliana get out of the toilet" etc etc. Sigh.

Then of course the big guy himself showed up. Emmaline just HAD to see him (and tell him she wanted a green toy car - how random is that?). AJ was occupied so I had all three girls in line with me. As we approached Santa, Liliana started to scream and cry - after all, here was a scary man in a red suit! So I picked her up and had Imogene on one hip and Liliana on the other. Luckily at that point a friend of mine noticed my dilemma and came and snagged Imogene for me. I tried to get Liliana to sit on Santa's lap but she wouldn't have any of that. When we got back to our table, I started getting packed up to leave - and AJ gets back to the table as well and starts to help and then turns to me and says, "Where's Imogene???" Whoops!

Let's just say that after I retrieved my forgotten baby, we hauled out of there - fast. The kids were cranky (an hour after bedtime when we left!) and we were exhausted. Just writing it all down it doesn't sound that bad. But in the moment, I was about ready to pull my hair out.
The bonus of the evening? At least I didn't have to cook dinner!

Rating: 1 Fireball

6 comments:

Unknown said...

i guess there's a silver lining to every cloud...

Rebecca said...

Leave it to Bethany to point out the GOOD in the situation like that!

You're not making wanting more kiddos easier ♥

Nonna said...

Whew ! Glad you found something to make it an O.K. evening (not cooking)
Once you're outnumbered, there's no going back...and nothing left to do but laugh over it later on !

Jamie said...

Isn't going to church about the same? At least you were faithful and went to the ward party... I remember the first time I met you, we were both on the Activities Committee!

Kate said...

From a nonprofessional point of view I would say it is ok to rais ones voice to a child when trying to keep them out of a public toilet. ;) I would say it would be acceptable to do almost anything to keep a child out of a public toilet echk. your a great mom I've seen mom's that would have laughed at the kids in the toilet.

AJ said...

Wait... you mean there's no return policy on the kids? *sigh* It's a good thing they're cute...