Thursday, August 21, 2008

Pizza Pasta

Today for lunch I decided to be a good mom and actually cook some lunch for the girls (mostly because all my pots and pans are actually clean - thanks AJ!!) I opted to make some Mac 'n Chreese. You read that right - Chreese NOT Cheese. Chreese sauce is a little allergy-safe gem made out of nutritional yeast flakes and a variety of spices to make a yummy sauce that mimics cheese sauce. You can either buy it in box form from Road's End Organics (found at most health food stores) or make it yourself using the recipe from The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook.

I like to make a big canister of the mix and keep it on hand for whenever I need a "cheese" sauce for pizzas, grilled cheese, etc. So today I opted to make the Mac 'n CHreese from scratch! Go me! In a moment of clarity, I had a fantastic idea. I spotted some leftover pizza sauce and half a bag of pepperoni in the fridge! "That could be yummy!" I said to myself.

So, after making the pasta and the sauce, I dumped in some pizza sauce and cut up pepperoni. I plopped it in front of the girls and Emmaline declared: "OH! it's PIZZA pasta!!!" took a bite, and said, "I think this is kind of tasty!"

Success!

Rating: 3 Lollipops

5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Brilliant idea! I may have to steal that for when I feel better. Although with no allergies, I will probably stick to cheese! ;)

Nonna said...

You are so clever ! What a challenge it must be to have kids with food allergies...good job and a clever child to boot with naming the dish "Pizza Pasta" !

Jenny said...

Sounds yummy! We'll have to give that a try at our house.

Suzy said...

Yea for pizza pasta! Sounds like your doing well with your cooking challenges. I would never think Emmaline could have mac n Chz,, buy also yea for that book and chreese!

Nurse Heidi said...

Nutritional yeast flakes, eh? I'll have to look in to that. Eliminating cheese from Katie's diet has proved to be the hardest, because she begs for it when she sees the rest of us eating it.