Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Magic of the Dinner Hour

Something happens in my house - about 4:30 each day. Imogene starts to cry, Liliana hangs on me, and Emmaline begins to whine. Each and every one of them communicating the same message just in different languages: "I'm HUUUUUUUNNNNNNGGGGRRRRRYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!"

Of course the irony is that I am standing there pulling things out of the fridge, getting out pots and pans - just as though I'm making dinner! Apparently though, none of those non-verbal cues mean anything to my kids. All they see is that there is nothing on the table and their food of choice isn't being presented to them on silver platters and covered in Hershey's Syrup (preferably!)

By the time AJ gets home from work, the kids are practically (and sometimes literally!) writhing on the floor in utter starvation. And when we finally serve up dinner??? "But mom - I don't want THAT!"

Rating: 1 Liver and Onions Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Bean

5 comments:

The McPherson Family said...

I am so glad this is universal! This is so what happens at my house! Ben, my two year old, demands to be held and whines "I soooo huuuungry!" And then promptly shoves his plate onto the floor when dinner is served.

Harumph.

Becky

Chavah Kinloch said...

LOL I can totally relate! Although I'm not really laughing while it's happening...

Jenny said...

This scene is so familiar. From 4:00 - end of dinnertime is known as "the witching hour" around here. Let me know if you figure out the secret to combating it!

Crystal said...

Oh I have known so many nights like that at my house. I love the way you describe it. Seems to make the scene more funny.

Nonna said...

I don't miss those crazy frizzed out dinner times ! Your rating is spot on whatever it means ? !