Saturday, August 9, 2008

Rice Milk Maker

After almost three months of being on back order, our rice milk maker finally arrived yesterday! Technically it is advertised as a soy milk maker, but it does pretty much any kind of milk you can name (except for cow!) in just 15 minutes. We saw the UPS man pull up in front of our house and we gleefully took the package from him and rushed into the kitchen to give it a try. Here is the verdict:


Bethany: "Pretty easy to use and only takes 15 minutes. It's a pain to clean though. I like that it uses a lot less rice than I thought it would - but I am disappointed that it only makes a quart at a time. Luckily Emmaline doesn't go through it that fast. Also frustrating is that it heats up the rice milk as it makes it so you have to wait overnight for it to get cold. As for taste...YUCK. It just tastes like watery rice. I need to find out the secret formula Rice Dream uses to make theirs so yummy. I'm thinking sugar might help."


AJ: "The taste leaves a lot to be desired. The overall cleanliness of the product is low - in that it is messy to clean up."


Emmaline: "I don't like this rice milk."
AJ: "Why don't you give it one more sip just to be sure."
Emmaline: "Why? - when I don't like it?"
AJ: "sigh"

UPDATE: Today instead of just reading the instruction manual, I watched the cheesy instructional DVD that came with it. Mostly it was like an infomercial and had instructions on how to make your own tofu and tofu burgers (ewww!) but I did catch a helpful tip where the person said that they personalize the taste of their soy milk with 1/2 tsp. salt and 3 T. sugar. I decided it couldn't hurt to try it with the rice milk! The verdict is that it tasted MUCH better - even palatable! Emmaline commented that the rice milk still tasted "different" but was willing to drink a cup of it and requested rice milk for dinner. *phew*




Rating: 1 bag of mixed Halloween candies - (for mixed reviews with good and bad stuff!)

7 comments:

Nonna said...

Uck ! I tried rice milk and soy milk...I can stand the soy better and I add vanilla and sugar to it. After one quart of the soy kicked up a notch, I switched back to Moo Milk forever ( unless we run out of cows ) Kudos to you for wanting to make it yourself, it can be pricey and if you have allergies, it will pay for itself over time.
Rating to you: 10 giant handfuls of pixie dust !!! Good job !

Jenny said...

What a bummer - hope you can find a recipe you like!

Suzy said...

Glad to hear that it is "drinkable" now! Sugar and salt always help things out a bit.. XOXO

Cheryl Pitt said...

So cool, thanks for telling me about this. I'll look it up and see if it works for hemp too!

Scott and Sarah said...

Hey.. your mom gave me your blog address because I was wondering about the rice milk maker. Adelyn has allergies as well (milk and eggs) so she gets rice milk. Do you find it to be alot cheeper? We also have a blog (it is blocked) but if you want to be invited, let me know at scottnsarahmoss@msn.com. I love that you work on a budget. It is inspiring :).

Scott and Sarah said...

um.. I totally forgot to say who I was.. sorry. This is Sarah Moss. Maybe you could have figured that out from the email address.

Bethany said...

Of course I recognized you Sarah! I sent you an email ;-)