Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Baking Bread

This may not seem like to a big deal to some people but this is huge for me:

Look! BREAD!



I hate baking. Love to cook, hate to bake! I got a wheat grinder for Christmas and along with that comes a goal to learn to make bread this year! I decided to start easy and not use my wheat grinder quite yet. I just wanted to hone my skills on the basics. I haven't made bread since I used to help my grandma do it when I was a little girl! I remember helping her make the dough and letting it sit in the sun to raise. Grandma had a big picture window that looked out to the south towards the Chugach Mountains that got great sunlight. She would always save some dough to make a little baby loaf too that was our special "kid" loaf.

Anyway, I decided to start easy and make a generic white bread - nothing fancy. My sisters assured me that making bread is easy with my Kitchenaid - it takes all the hardest work out of it. Yeah, yeah. Whatever. Okay, turns out they were right - thanks guys! It did all my mixing and all my kneading. SO AWESOME! Turns out that dough hook that comes with the Kitchenaid isn't a waste of space!

I did encounter a small problem when I discovered that apparently the bread pans I bought are bigger than the standard size, how was I to know? So the dough didn't fill out the pan, thus instead of being squared, they kind of taper off. If they were a birthday cake they'd be perfect to decorate like a car...

Not too shabby for a first try! I bet it is really good with homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam


Rating: 2 loaves of bread (forget the candy rating - I have hot fresh bread calling my name and the kids are all napping so I have it all to myself...)


8 comments:

Heavenly said...

As impressed as I am at your new baking skill...I am ever more impressed with the fact that you got all three children to nap at the same time.

I bow to your greatness. :)

Heather said...

Well, I am IMPRESSED! Baking bread scares the heck out of me, why?? Anyway, good job Bethany...

Jenny/Moravia said...

Yummy - I have had my kitchen aid for about 3 yrs now and I haven't used that dough hook either. I lent it to my dad a few times to make scones, so he's used it, but I haven't. I am hoping to try this year

Jenny said...

Looks divine! Way to go, Bethany!

the andersons said...

yummy.. homemade bread with butter! yummm...

Staci said...

Yummy! I am interested in making bread, but here's my question... Is it hard to slice like the bread in the store? I would love to use it for sandwhiches, grilled cheese, etc! Great job!

Nonna said...

Good for you ! Once you realize how much you save on baking bread, you'll do it weekly...even just baking 2 loaves a week will save you $3-$4 ! Times 52 weeks, it really adds up !

Kerilee Law said...

Let me know when you try wheat bread. I've started making my family wheat bread and I'm still having struggles. I'm trying again today so wish me luck!