Whenever I am trying to figure out a dish that is normally unsafe for Emmaline, I turn to the Vegans. Those guys really know what they are talking about most of the time. All you have to do is google: "Vegan ______" and you can usually come up with a decent recipe that is free of dairy and egg. They do like to use soy a lot but usually it is just soy milk so we replace it with rice milk.
Anyway - tonight I decided we were having breakfast for dinner. Sausage, homemade hash browns, orange juice, and french toast. "Surely the vegans have a french toast recipe!" I said, as I typed it into google. And sure enough up one came! It looked yummy. Instead of egg, you use mashed banana, rice milk, cinnamon, and vanilla. Well - it was yummy. But it was NOT french toast. It created a soggy mess of bread - that once cool, at least created a mass rubbery enough to take bites of. The girls both loved it - since they've never had french toast before they had NO idea what they were missing.
So there you go - the vegans cannot be relied upon 100% of the time! Now that I've tried it their way though, I have a few ideas up my sleeve that I'm thinking of trying, so stay tuned.
Fun Fact: I just did the math and our meal cost us $1.63 for the whole family.
Sausage: $0.00
Hashbrowns - 1 lb. potatoes at $0.38/lb
Orange Juice 1 quart - $0.25
French Toast ingredients - ~$1.00
Rating: 3 Fireballs (will we never have french toast again???)
Monday, October 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You never know til you try...you're so good Bethany !
BTW, Until I read the pumpkin post, I had no idea there was such a thing as Spicy chocolate kisses...now I'm on the hunt for them !
Hey, at least it was yummy. The worst kitchen disasters are when the food turns out inedible. I don't doubt you'll be able to come up with a safe version of your own, given a few tries!
Post a Comment