Saturday, October 4, 2008

A Formula for Dinner

One of my favorite quick and easy meals to cook for dinner is basically "Meat Helper" using rice instead of pasta. It is such a basic formula and I can mix it up easily.

1 lb meat of your choice (chicken, steak, ground turkey, ground beef, etc)
1/2 onion
Veggies of your choice (about 1/2 to 1 lb depending on your veggie and the size and such)
1 1/2 cups rice (I use regular white rice - cook time will vary if you use other varieties)
4 cups water
4 tsp bouillon (your choice - chicken, beef, vegetable) You can also just use stock - just use 4 cups and don't use boullion
Spices

In a large skillet fry the meat and onion. Put in all other ingredient. Bring to a boil while stirring, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let it simmer (untouched!) for 15 minutes. Turn off heat and let sit for at least 5 minutes more with the lid on. Stir and mix in some milk (or rice milk) if you want it a bit more creamy.

Variations:
Spanish Style - Ground Beef, 2 cans tomatoes, corn, chicken bouillon

Enchilada Style - Ground Beef, 1 can tomatoes, 1 can black beans, replace half of water with Enchilada Sauce, chicken bouillon

Asian Style - Ground Beef, or Steak, mushrooms, broccoli, celery, beef bouillon, soy sauce

Indian Style - Chicken, yellow squash, red pepper, green beans, curry powder, chicken bouillon, use coconut milk in place of milk

All-American Style - Ground Turkey, mixed veggies, powdered ranch dressing, chicken bouillon

Fajita Style - Steak or chicken, Peppers, fajita seasoning, beef bouillon, add fresh tomatoes at the end.

Refrigerator Delight - Any meat you have thawed, any veggies you have left over the fridge, chicken bouillon, basic seasonings like garlic powder, salt, pepper.

Rating: 4 Lollipops (I love a cheap, quick, healthy, and easy dinner!)

2 comments:

Kate said...

OK I so need a picture of this. I am a visual gal. Sounds easy!!

Kelly said...

I am a lurker on your blog, coming out of hiding. These all sound great! Definitely cheaper, and better tasting I'm sure than Hamburger Helper!