Saturday, May 17, 2008

Jars, Escape Artists, Counters, and Pizza (that about sums it up!)

Saturday is one of Emmaline's favorite days of the week because "daddy puts on his stay-at-home pants (sweats)!!!"
Anyway, today we ran an errand. I scored some canning jars off of craigslist for $3/dozen. We got 7 dozen. It was a little old lady who was getting ready to move and downsize so she was clearing things out. The jars must have been in her basement for a long time because they were thick with dust! When we got home I took them to the backyard to hose them off before even putting them in the dishwasher.
Liliana today also demonstrated to us today that she knows how to open the front door as well as the rest of the doors in the house. *note to self - remember to use the deadbolt*. We were very lucky that a neighbor caught up with her pretty quickly! That's pretty much all I want to say about that....
AJ is still working on his cabinet project for the office and is almost done! The cabinets are all installed and now he is making a countertop out of some oak. He was able to put a couple coats of stain on it today so it is looking good! We had trouble getting an exact color match between the cabinets and the counter - so we opted to go for a mismatch on purpose. The oak is being stained a very dark walnut. We are *hoping* that the stark contrast will look good!
For dinner I made pizza. I found a recipe for pizza dough that didn't require rising. It turned out pretty good. It was denser than I prefer, but that is what you get when you don't let it rise first I guess.

Pizza Dough

INGREDIENTS
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 (.25 ounce) package or 2.5 tsp. active dry yeast
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)

DIRECTIONS
Combine flour, salt, sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Mix in oil and warm water. Spread out on a large pizza pan. Top as desired.
Bake at 375 degrees C (190 degrees C) for 20 to 25 minutes.

Rating: 3 Lollipops and 5 Sour Patch Kids

2 comments:

Nurse Heidi said...

Hi Bethany! I noticed your blog on your siggy, so I had to come take a look.

That's basically the pizza dough recipe I always use, though I don't measure. I prefer to use olive oil and honey instead of the veggie oil and sugar, and I also typically use about 1/3 white wheat flour with 2/3 regular flour. I do prefer to let it rise first - nicer texture - but if I'm a slacker and don't plan ahead I've been known to do it as you wrote it.

Anonymous said...

Hey Bethany...we absolutely swear by the flip locks for our doors to the outside.
http://www.safebeginnings.com/WebComponents/Catalog/Public/showproduct.asp?id=295&cat=Childproofing

Gabrielle was a wanderer and these sure help your peace of mind. :)

--Celeste