Saturday, May 3, 2008

They called him Mr. Grim

In a sick and bizarre turn of events, I have been diagnosed with Bell's Palsy. Essentially, a virus has decided to attack a facial nerve, thus causing one half of my face to become limp as though I had had a stroke. When I blink, my left eye doesn't shut. When I close my eyes, my left eye won't actually close. When I smile, the left side of my mouth doesn't move. And I can't feel most of the left side of my face/neck. Made trying to eat a hamburger rather interesting. The doctor said it should go away in 2-3 months. Ummm... yay? We'll have to have Bethany take some goofy pictures - it looks rather amusing, though the pain that the virus is causing in the mastoid area of my head is rather excruciating.

Hope everyone else's Saturday is going better! ;-)

Rating: 5 fireballs

2 comments:

the andersons said...

So sorry AJ! I had a boyfriend in college that had this happen to him too--he made some really quirky faces! So, use it to your advantage, I say....

Anonymous said...

Good times! I feel sad for you and hope it gets better fast. I still have a rather large and spacious dead spot on my chin and left cheek from surgery a few years back, but it has gotten better over the years. In the meantime, make sure you don't drool, and check your face with a napkin a lot while you are eating in case you have dribbled and didn't notice! (not that I speak from experience, OK?)